The manager of nursing informatics is a member of the Nursing and Epic Operations leadership teams and is responsible to ensure all clinical information system implementations are consistent with DFCI standards of nursing practice. This position is responsible for the investigation and oversight of implementation relative to functions for Nursing and Patient Care Services across the DFCI enterprise. She/he supports a shared leadership philosophy that advances the professional practice model for Nursing and Patient Care Services.
The manager of nursing informatics integrates nursing science, computer science, and information science to manage and communicate data, information and knowledge in nursing practice. S/he facilitates the integration of data, information and knowledge to support patients, nurses, and other providers in their decision-making roles and settings.
This role will support the stabilization and continuous improvement efforts related to the Epic HER implementation. The manager of nursing informatics will work collaboratively with the physician and pharmacy leads, DFCI Epic leadership, Application Business Analysts, Credentialed Trainers, Partners eCare, and Epic Systems. This role will serve as a representative for nursing roles in providing clinical knowledge related to content, workflow, training, and communication. The Lead is responsible for identifying issues and developing options and recommendations for improvement in partnership with other members of the DFCI Epic team. In addition, the Lead will serve as a liaison from the Epic program to nursing, aid in creating and presenting clinical content at various stakeholder meetings.
This role will also support strategic and quality goals of the nursing department and the institute, collaboratively working with key stakeholders supporting initiatives such as Magnet re-designation, design and use of data for quality metrics measurement and evaluation, as well as facilitating the ability to study nursing care delivery at an aggregate level, including effectiveness of interventions and opportunities for practice changes to positively impact patient outcomes
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides expert content knowledge and end user feedback to DFCI Epic Leadership, Partners eCare, and Epic on workflows, content, and prioritization
- Work closely with Epic program leadership, nursing end users and Nursing Leadership to identify, prioritize, and evaluate Epic workflows, content, and functionality
- Propose recommendations to workgroups to remediate challenges and improve workflows, content, and functionality
- Provide feedback on recommendations to proposed changes, such as impact of change, communication/education required, or additional options
- Collaborate with PeC Application Coordinators, Application Business Analysts and Leads to investigate identified issues and propose recommendations to mitigate or resolve
- Provide clinical insight to Partners eCare and Epic on recommendations and potential options for future development
- Provide expert knowledge to the DFCI Epic team regarding clinical and/or operational needs as part of requirements of documentation
- Analyze multiple approaches/solutions to resolve issues or problems
- Evaluate the quality and effectiveness of identified/implemented solutions
- Consider factors related to safety, effectiveness, costs, and impacts relative to process and/or system changes
- Elicit feedback from clinicians on Epic topics or areas of concern from nurses and clinical leadership
- Escalate challenges to leadership as appropriate
- Support testing scenario and logic review
- Serve as Epic liaison to all relevant Nursing and Patient Care Services roles
- Serve as a representative of the Epic program to nursing
- Advocate for the execution of best practices and recommended workflows
- Collaborate with Epic Operations, Business Analysts, and Clinical Certified Trainers on the creation and delivery of training and communication
- Co-present supplemental training and education to nursing at various forums
- Serve as an Epic knowledge expert to assist with questions and/or identifies the appropriate direction for resolution
- Engage nursing stakeholders to identify areas for improvement or additional training
- Present Epic updates at various NPCS forums
- Consult with clinical stakeholders on customization, adoption and use of the EHR software
- In collaboration with CBAs, work closely with end-users to define business needs, document workflow, perform workflow analysis to develop automated or technical solutions and provides appropriate feedback.
- Collaborate across DFCI, Partners eCare, and Epic organizations
- Participate in weekly DFCI workgroup meetings
- Work with colleagues across the enterprise to assure common standards where feasible for nursing documentation of patient care delivery
- Represent nursing interests in various institute and enterprise level committees/task forces
- Participate in various Epic feedback forums, such as Post-Live Visits, Town Halls
- Provides supervision and mentorship to DFCI clinical credentialed trainers
- Assess individual staff performance, provide timely positive and constructive feedback on an ongoing basis and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Provide mentoring/ coaching as needed to help staff be successful in their role. Identity and utilize available resources to support this
- Collaborate with Training Program Manger to address any staff issues to promote a productive supportive work environment
- Hold staff accountable for behaviors that are consistent with DFCI standards
- Support employee personal and professional goals while making them accountable for them.
- Participate in nursing and organizational policy formulation and decision making, particularly as it relates to technology
- Asses the need for information systems to support and enhance nursing practice
- Actively contributes to implement quality management concepts as they relate to the EHR clinical applications and the use of those applications. Collaborates with appropriate nursing and leadership stakeholders in report development and evaluation of report data
- Attends yearly Epic User Group and Expert Group meetings to stay abreast of new functionality, other innovative practices utilized by other sites as well as establish a network with other nursing informatics professionals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Maintain a detailed understanding of Epic and working knowledge of related IS systems
- Proficiency with information technology to support all areas of nursing practice
- Ability to support patient safety initiatives through the use of information technology
- Ask questions and seek clarification to ensure full understanding of issues, priorities, and recommendations
- Demonstrated organization, verbal, written and inter-personal skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a matrixed work environment
- Strong knowledge of ambulatory, hospital and nursing clinical practices
- Clinical Certified Trainers report to this role
- Collaborates with the Training Program manager on managing the business needs related to end user training and support.
- Complies with accepted standards of professional nursing practice, as well as with all licensure/registration requirements applicable to the nursing role.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development by assessing and developing plans to meet own education needs to support the professional role and remain current in practice.
- Maintains current membership and participation in professional organizations to advance professional growth and knowledge.
- Adheres to the Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements (ANA, 2001) in all aspects of professional practice.
- Performs all aspects of her/his role consistent with the American Nurses Association Scope and Standards for Nursing Informatics Practice (ANA, 2008)
- Registered nurse with 3 to 5 years experience in health care required, oncology experience preferred
- Prior experience with clinical system design, development, testing, implementation and support required.
- Master’s degree highly preferred
- Nursing informatics certification highly preferred
- Current nursing licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Strong technical background in computer hardware and software
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Baccalaureate degree required; Baccalaureate degree in nursing preferred
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Certification in Oncology Nursing, OCN, ACON, or CPON strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years oncology experience required, leadership or charge nurse experience preferred